Thursday, February 22, 2007

Back to Kathmandu

It was nice to get away from the city again for a few days. The lodge I stayed at was nice and clean in Chitwan but not too many people to socialize with. I read my book and enjoyed the quite. It was a rather long bus ride and I'm happy to be in one place for a few days but am very much looking forward to getting out in the mountains this week. The trip was rather uneventful although seeing the recently overturned bus at the botton of the canyon 50meters below undermined my faith in the mountain highways a bit. However, it didn't keep me from relaxing on the bus and I don't mind the long rides all that much. It was 6 or so hours to Chitwan and will be a bit further to Pohkara where we'll begin our trek. Pohkara is supposed to be very nice. It's right next to a lake at the base of the mountains. There is a great view of the mountains and their reflection can be seen in the lake.

I got back mid-afternoon yesterday and wandered my way back to Thamel with a few folks I'd met on the trip, Peter from Denmark and Christina from Switzerland. Anyway, we stopped at a rooftop cafe and chatted. I was starting to feel a bit under the weather and I continued to get sick as the evening went on. I stayed in my room most of today and downstairs to the Internet cafe is as far as I've made it. More cold/flu symptoms than your typical traveler's illnesses. I'm just a bit achy with a cold but enough to make me feel lousy. I'm hoping I kick it in the next day or so or I'll have to postpone the trek and shorten it. I'm optimistic though and think I'll be up for at least a little sightseeing tomorrow. Anyway, that's about it. I'm going to go meet Peter at a cafe in a few minutes and hopefully eat something. The Danes have the hook up for education as do most of northern Europe. He's studying the political climate in Nepal for his master's but has really spent the last 3 months hanging out trekking and diving between Nepal and Thailand. He's exhausted his education expenditures but for anyone tuition is paid and you get a stipend to live on. Like my set up but he doesn't have to pay it back. Anyway, nice guy and it's nice to have someone fluent in English to hang out with for a few days.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hope you feel better soon...