Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Food and Beverage

So, the Nepali staple is daal bhat which literally means lentils and rice. They have it at least twice a day around 10 or 11am then again around 7pm. Some sort of cooked vegetables are also served with it. The rice is on one plate and the daal and vegetables are in separate bowls on another plate. All are mixed together and eaten with the right hand. As I think I said before I can't master eating wet rice with my non-dominant hand so I've stuck with a spoon. Sometimes I also have a fried egg with the daal bhat. For breakfast and a late afternoon snack I've been having noodle soup which is basically ramen noodles in an extra salty broth.

Nepali tea is the staple beverage. It is basically what we call Chai tea latte. They have it first thing in the morning but I brought my French press and a couple of pounds of Starbucks which is the best idea I've had in years. The coffee with some sugar and powdered milk is an excellent way to wake up on the porch overlooking the mountains. Anyway, we also have tea either before or after rounds at the hospital. I like the tea at the hospital as it's a bit spicier. The other night Upendra and Ganga also had me try the local alcoholic drink roxy at Ganga's house. It was pretty vile really but when they asked me how it was I could only say it was ok not terrible and forced myself to drink the glass. I couldn't get the idea that the stuff my cause me to go blind out of my head as I drank it. However, they all appear to see fine so I think I'm in the clear. While I've never had moonshine I think that's basically what roxy is, a homebrew of sorts. I also had the Everest beer when I was in Kathmandu with dinner the other night. It was pretty good just your generic beer like budweiser or something. Anyway, I'd better run and had my morning daal bhat before returning to the hospital for Dr. R's (I cannot say and have no idea how to spell his name) outpatient clinic.


::

No comments: